noun (plural enfants terribles pronunc. same)
- A person who behaves in an unconventional or controversial way: the enfant terrible of contemporary artMore example sentences
- Though he was just beginning his teaching career, Barth was, at the time, already something of a controversial celebrity, an enfant terrible among European theologians.
- The 39-year-old looks more like an accountant than the enfant terrible of contemporary Hollywood cinema.
- The enfant terrible of the British art scene raised a cool £11m last week by selling off a load of old restaurant fittings.
French, literally 'terrible child'.
More definitions of enfant terribleDefinition of enfant terrible in:
- The US English dictionary