Definition of envoi in English:
1A short stanza concluding a ballade.
- Transforming the press account, Kelly's own narrative further compresses Kastriot's story of miraculous survival into three stanzas and a shorter envoi which are intended to evoke the traditional folk ballad.
- A sestina is a highly structured poetic composition that is comprised of six six-line stanzas and a three-line concluding stanza known as an envoy.
- The pun on ‘bay’ is telling, and the sestina moves toward its envoi.
2 literary An author’s concluding words.
- Finally Quietus for string trio makes a satisfying envoi.
- The finale, chock-full of thrown rhythms, is a bit cavalier too, but serves as a cheerful envoi to the whole series of seven.
- I spent the last hour or so trying to craft a poignant envoi for this poet of posts, but pressed for time and under the influence of a glass (a large one too) of red wine, my last resort is in the words of another.
Words that rhyme with envoienvoy
Definition of envoi in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia