Definition of envoi in English:
1A short stanza concluding a ballade.
- Transforming the press account, Kelly's own narrative further compresses Kastriot's story of miraculous survival into three stanzas and a shorter envoi which are intended to evoke the traditional folk ballad.
- A sestina is a highly structured poetic composition that is comprised of six six-line stanzas and a three-line concluding stanza known as an envoy.
- The pun on ‘bay’ is telling, and the sestina moves toward its envoi.
2 literary An author’s concluding words.
- Finally Quietus for string trio makes a satisfying envoi.
- The finale, chock-full of thrown rhythms, is a bit cavalier too, but serves as a cheerful envoi to the whole series of seven.
- I spent the last hour or so trying to craft a poignant envoi for this poet of posts, but pressed for time and under the influence of a glass (a large one too) of red wine, my last resort is in the words of another.
Definition of envoi in:
- US English dictionary