Definition of envoy in English:
1A messenger or representative, especially one on a diplomatic mission: the UN special envoy to Yugoslavia a peace envoy
More example sentences
- In Ancient Egypt, the Pharaoh's messengers and diplomatic envoys carried with them the seal of the Pharaoh, production of which guaranteed the carrier free and unhindered passage throughout the region.
- Notably, the document signaled that the new administration would eschew the use of special diplomatic envoys.
- Such people, he deduced, were not socialists at all but ruthless envoys of a ‘mean state capitalism with the grab motive left intact’.
2 (also envoy extraordinary) A minister plenipotentiary, ranking below ambassador and above chargé d’affaires.
- Sir William Hamilton is known for his interest in volcanoes, which he studied assiduously from 1764 until 1800 while he was the British envoy extraordinary to the court of Ferdinand IV in Naples.
- Hamilton served as British envoy extraordinary and plenipotentiary to the court of Naples starting in 1764.