1An order of insects that comprises the mayflies.
- We further included four representatives of the Zygoptera, one representative of the Epiophlebiidae, and one representative of the Ephemeroptera of the family Ephemeridae as outgroup taxa.
1.1 (ephemeroptera) Insects of the order Ephemeroptera; mayflies: various species of ephemeroptera
More example sentences
- Stomach contents were examined with a dissecting microscope; [greater than] 99% of the enumerated prey were diptera larvae, ephemeroptera larvae, copepods, cladocera, and cyprinid fish.
- Every species of ephemeroptera may be distinguished by its genitalia.
- In 1994, zooplankton still dominated diets in August, whereas macroinvertebrates, mainly small chironomids and small Ephemeroptera, were dominant prey in August 1995 and 1996.
ephemeropteran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- These aquatic larvae, often ephemeropterans or dipterans, are readily available in the lower water column and interstitial spaces that these juveniles inhabit.
- They are the ephemeropteran equivalents of theology.
Modern Latin (plural), from Ephemera (genus name) + pteron 'wing'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Ephem¦er|op¦tera
Definition of Ephemeroptera in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.