noun[mass noun] Botany & Zoology
- The thin, waxy protective outer layer covering the surfaces of some plants, fungi, and insects and other arthropods.More example sentences
- The thin, soft upper layer of epicuticle is also absent from the surface of C. punctata, possibly due to abrasion or exfoliation, but present on the lower surface of each fungiform structure.
- The waxy epicuticle protects against desiccation.
- All possess an extremely thin epicuticle and a thick, massive outer exocuticle.
- More example sentences
- Striations of thick epicuticular wax are present on both adaxial and abaxial epidermal cells.
- There are many other documented changes in shoot morphology which take place in the droughted plant (e.g. changed stomatal differentiation, synthesis of epicuticular waxes, formation of thorns, hairs etc).
- For instance, compared with those of seedlings or acclimated plantlets, leaves of in vitro-regenerated plantlets have little epicuticular wax and stoma functioning is often altered.
More definitions of epicuticleDefinition of epicuticle in:
- The US English dictionary