Definition of epigastrium in English:
noun (plural epigastria /-rɪə/)Anatomy
The part of the upper abdomen immediately over the stomach.
- The pain of acute cholecystitis typically lasts longer than three hours and, after three hours, shifts from the epigastrium to the right upper quadrant.
- A large mass was palpable in the epigastrium and right upper quadrant.
- The pain starts suddenly in the epigastrium or right upper quadrant and may radiate round to the back in the interscapular region.
- Example sentences
- The esophagus lies anterior to the thoracic aorta before exiting through the diaphragm slightly to the left of midline in the epigastric region of the abdomen.
- It may present as an epigastric mass, epigastric pain radiating to the back, abdominal fullness, nausea, vomiting, or jaundice.
- After revascularization is complete, the surgeon identifies the bladder and cuts and ligates the epigastric and round ligaments with silk ties.
Definition of epigastrium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan