Definition of epigenesis in English:
noun[mass noun] Biology
The theory, now generally held, that an embryo develops progressively from an undifferentiated egg cell. Often contrasted with preformation.
- In epigenesis, the developing organism begins in an undifferentiated state and gradually changes to a more complex state through multiple interactions.
- He did not assume that an inert and common matter was sufficient for a plausible formulation of a theory of mechanical epigenesis.
- Chapter 5 introduces their role in development, concluding that epigenesis is really, really complicated.
- 1epigenesist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- While the inability to ‘look inside’ the womb may have led early scientists to favor the epigenesist view that life gradually comes into existence from inanimate matter, we simply know better today.
Definition of epigenesis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.