In the style of an epigram; concise, clever, and amusing: an epigrammatic style
More example sentences
- The Greek philosopher Heraclitus is famous for saying you cannot stand in the same river twice; La Rochefoucauld perfected this epigrammatic style in the 17th century in his Maximes.
- This epigrammatic style is fun, but if repeated one becomes aware that it points as much towards the author's cleverness as the subject in hand.
- Bacon, in his Essays, adopts an epigrammatic style.
witty, clever, amusing, quick-witted, piquant, ingenious;
sharp, trenchant, well tuned, finely honed, in well-chosen words
- Example sentences
- He has a quote from Kurt Vonnegut epigrammatically placed on his site.
- Until the 20th century, it simply did not occur to rulers that they could second every aspect of national life to the pursuit of their policies of which, as Clausewitz epigrammatically observed, war is merely a continuation.
- To put it epigrammatically, the totality of the modern state seems to require unconditional surrender as a necessary correlative of its total wars.
Words that rhyme with epigrammaticachromatic, acrobatic, Adriatic, aerobatic, anagrammatic, aquatic, aristocratic, aromatic, asthmatic, athematic, attic, autocratic, automatic, axiomatic, bureaucratic, charismatic, chromatic, cinematic, climatic, dalmatic, democratic, diagrammatic, diaphragmatic, diplomatic, dogmatic, dramatic, ecstatic, emblematic, emphatic, enigmatic, erratic, fanatic, hepatic, hieratic, hydrostatic, hypostatic, idiomatic, idiosyncratic, isochromatic, lymphatic, melodramatic, meritocratic, miasmatic, monochromatic, monocratic, monogrammatic, numismatic, operatic, panchromatic, pancreatic, paradigmatic, phlegmatic, photostatic, piratic, plutocratic, pneumatic, polychromatic, pragmatic, prelatic, prismatic, problematic, programmatic, psychosomatic, quadratic, rheumatic, schematic, schismatic, sciatic, semi-automatic, Socratic, somatic, static, stigmatic, sub-aquatic, sylvatic, symptomatic, systematic, technocratic, thematic, theocratic, thermostatic, traumatic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.