- (Of a disease) temporarily prevalent and widespread in an animal population: epizootic, endemic, and contagious diseases Compare with enzootic, epidemic.More example sentences
- Transport to the nearest high-risk material processing plant of animals infected or suspected of being infected with an epizootic disease is rejected because of the danger of propagation of health risks.
- ‘To date, our country has remained vigilant and successful in keeping out many epizootic diseases that have occurred in some parts of the SADC region,’ said the head of state.
- If a commercial breed were to be hit by a devastating epizootic disease, the genes of a hardy rare breed could be used to help re-establish the immunity of a commercial one.
late 18th century (as an adjective): from French épizootique, from épizootie, from Greek epi 'upon' + zōion 'animal'.
More definitions of epizooticDefinition of epizootic in:
- The US English dictionary