1 [mass noun] The state of being equal, especially in status, rights, or opportunities: an organization aiming to promote racial equality
More example sentences
- We also know that the labour movement has to work very hard to ensure that same equality of access and opportunity in the union.
- Moreover, not everything is done to ensure equality of opportunity.
- All the evidence shows, that if you want to promote social mobility and equality of opportunity, you have to start early.
2 Mathematics A symbolic expression of the fact that two quantities are equal; an equation.
- Relationships between other values from different quantity spaces can be defined using equalities and correspondences.
- The formal algebraic manipulation of series investigated by Lagrange and Laplace in the 1770s was put in the form of operator equalities by Arbogast in 1800 in Calcul des dérivations.
- In a series of papers published over the following years Edmonds examined a whole variety of different conditions on the functions f and g which give the required equalities.
Words that rhyme with equalityfrivolity, jollity, polity, quality
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: equal|ity
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.