Definition of equation in English:
1 Mathematics A statement that the values of two mathematical expressions are equal (indicated by the sign =).
- It also contains continued fractions, quadratic equations, sums of power series and a table of sines.
- When I pressed him to write an equation expressing the value for a, he insisted that he would need a symbol for within.
- Now express the pattern as a mathematical equation.
2 [mass noun] The process of equating one thing with another: the equation of science with objectivity
More example sentences
- As relationships go, I realized this simple equation of life.
- I feel that I have developed some sort of equation with them.
- And can you tell us, are you concerned about second-guessing on that whole equation?
2.1 (the equation) A situation in which several factors must be taken into account: money also came into the equation
More example sentences
- Another factor in the equation: Used equipment must compete with new equipment in the marketplace.
- Once all that is figured out, the most confusing factor in the equation must be pondered: playing time.
- When pressure of competition was factored into the equation, the situation changed.
the situation, the problem, the case, the question, the quandary, the predicament
3 Chemistry A symbolic representation of the changes which occur in a chemical reaction, expressed in terms of the formulae of the molecules or other species involved.
- When hydrolysis occurs, we will write a chemical equation to describe it, and new species will be formed in solution.
- The chemical equations for some reactions may have a lone reactant or a single product.
- I asked as I balanced a chemical equation and answered some questions.
equation of the first (or second etc.) order
- Mathematics An equation involving only the first derivative, second derivative, etc.Example sentences
- His doctoral dissertation was on the theory of the propeller which led to his developing a theory of partial differential equations of the second order.
- This integral was introduced in a paper on differential equations of the second order which he wrote in 1870.
- Special attention should be drawn also to his little known pamphlet on regular point of linear differential equations of the second order used for a number of years in connection with one of his courses of lectures.