(also equatorial mounting)
- A telescope mounting with one axis aligned to the celestial pole, which allows the movement of celestial objects to be followed by motion about this axis alone. Compare with altazimuth ( sense 1).More example sentences
- Today we would use a telescope in an accurately-calibrated equatorial mounting to find the planet's altitude and azimuth (compass-bearing) and then, given the correct sidereal time, its latitude and longitude could be calculated.
- Monty mounted the reflector telescope with an equatorial mount on a concrete pedestal, to give it a solid foundation.
- The telescope, with its complex and finely-crafted equatorial mounting, became one of the must-see features of Burton Constable Hall for visitors during the 18th and 19th centuries.
More definitions of equatorial mountDefinition of equatorial mount in:
- The US English dictionary