Definition of ermine in English:
noun (plural same or ermines)
- Predators of erethizontids include mustelids such as martens, minks, wolverines, ermine, weasels, and fishers.
- Vikka is quick to identify the tracks of wolverine, fox and ermine.
- Arctic foxes, short-tailed weasels and ermines are some of the smaller carnivores found here.
- In bygone days many stoats were slaughtered to provide skins for ermine robes.
- On this throne sat a very distinguished-looking man dressed in a royal blue velvet robe trimmed with ermine over his tuxedo.
- The robe is trimmed with ermine, which is the white winter coat of the stoat in northern regions of Europe.
- The coat of arms of the former duchy of Brittany is "Ermine", one of very few coats that are of one tincture only.
- The coloring scheme of ermine can also be changed.
- Genus Spilosoma, family Arctiidae: several species
- One teacher thought the caterpillars might belong to silk ermine moths, but we're not sure.
- The buff ermine moth is so called because of its buff colouring.
- The apple small ermine moth causes more or less serious defoliation at the tips of branches of apple trees.
- Example sentences
- And, in fairness to those ermined aristocrats, they could afford contempt.
- If he has any brains at all, he'll make a speech this week telling these ermined layabouts to go climb a tree.
- I do think, however that a ballot on the suitability of some newly ermined people would debar some before the ermine was purchased.
This is from Old French hermine, probably from medieval Latin (mus) Armenius ‘Armenian (mouse)’. White ermine fur is the winter coat of the common weasel, and it needs dependable snowfall, such as is found in Armenia, for the coat to turn white.
Words that rhyme with erminedetermine, vermin
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.