Definition of erythropoiesis in English:
noun[mass noun] Physiology
The production of red blood cells.
- In renal failure, anemia occurs in part because uremic metabolites decrease the lifespan of circulating red blood cells and reduce erythropoiesis.
- These hemorrhagic and hemolytic events would result in tissue hypoxia that would, in turn, stimulate erythropoiesis.
- Iron deficiency in hemodialysis patients is caused by blood loss during the dialysis procedure, increased erythropoiesis, and insufficient absorption of iron from the gastrointestinal tract.
- 1erythropoietic adjective
- Example sentences
- A blunted erythropoietic response to physiologic stimuli has been noted in critically ill patients.
- It is therefore a more accurate indicator of erythropoietic activity.
- There are currently no recombinant erythropoietic products approved by the FDA for the treatment of anemia in these patients.
Definition of erythropoiesis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.