Definition of ethnolinguistics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
The branch of linguistics concerned with the relations between linguistic and cultural behaviour.
- The results of this project will contribute essentially to the study of ethnolinguistics and to the description of some endangered languages and dialects.
- His interests include ethnolinguistics and language acquisition in bilingual children.
- Example sentences
- The question of how many fluent Maidu speakers remain is a touchy one, not least because many Maidu resent the notion that a white ethnolinguist may be the keeper of the linguistic flame.
- These paradigms will be of as much interest to philologists and ethnolinguists as they may be to ornithologists.
- For more than twenty-five years, his work as an ethnolinguist has focused on the preservation of Hopi language and culture.
Definition of ethnolinguistics in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan