plural noun[treated as singular]
The branch of linguistics concerned with the relations between linguistic and cultural behaviour.
- The results of this project will contribute essentially to the study of ethnolinguistics and to the description of some endangered languages and dialects.
- His interests include ethnolinguistics and language acquisition in bilingual children.
- Example sentences
- The question of how many fluent Maidu speakers remain is a touchy one, not least because many Maidu resent the notion that a white ethnolinguist may be the keeper of the linguistic flame.
- These paradigms will be of as much interest to philologists and ethnolinguists as they may be to ornithologists.
- For more than twenty-five years, his work as an ethnolinguist has focused on the preservation of Hopi language and culture.
Definition of ethnolinguistics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.