noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A colourless or pale yellow liquid compound present in oil of cloves and other essential oils and used in perfumery.
- Alternative name: 4-allyl-2-methoxyphenol; chemical formula: C10H12O2
More example sentences
- The taste is acid but sweet, with an unusual aromatic quality partly due to eugenol, an essential oil found also in cloves.
- The aromatic chemical in clove called eugenol anesthetizes pain and kills bacteria.
- Linalool is responsible for the light floral character; eugenol, the clove; and methyl chavicol, the anise.
late 19th century: from eugenia (genus name of the tree from which oil of cloves is obtained, named in honour of Prince Eugene of Savoy (1663–1736)) + -ol.
Definition of eugenol in:
- The US English dictionary