Definition of evolute in English:
noun(also evolute curve) Mathematics
A curve which is the locus of the centres of curvature of another curve (its involute).
- On 22 January 1769 Monge wrote to Bossut explaining that he was writing a work on the evolutes of curves of double curvature.
- He defines evolutes and involutes of curves and, after giving some elementary properties, finds the evolutes of the cycloid and of the parabola.
- Hence a curve has a unique evolute but infinitely many involutes.
adjectiveZoology & Botany Back to top
Rolled outwards at the edges: an evolute shell
More example sentences
- The general shell characters are the evolute coiling and the median keel that is always higher than the lateral ones.
- The second lineage contained A. nitida, which became more involute and axially compressed on the umbilical side, and its first descendant, A. mckannai, which developed evolute coiling and a moderately wide umbilicus.
- It essentially separates early (higher scores) and later (lower scores) representatives of the species, which tended to develop evolute coiling through geologic time.
Definition of evolute in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan