- Showing no sign of life; lifeless: his exanimate bodyMore example sentences
- The billows of death overwhelmed him, and cast his exanimate body on the desolate shore.
- It is a petrifaction — a fossil, existing, it is true, in a fine state of keeping, but still an exanimate stone.
- When Laura plays the piano, her adorer stands there, one moment an exanimate statue, the next a disembodied spirit.
mid 16th century: from Latin exanimatus 'deprived of life', from ex- 'out' + animatus (see animate).
More definitions of exanimateDefinition of exanimate in:
- The US English dictionary