Definition of excelsior in English:
1Used in the names of hotels and products to indicate superior quality: they stayed at the Excelsior
More example sentences
- The news of the fabulous wealth of the Klondike creeks had broken only in mid-July, when the steamers Excelsior and Portland reached San Francisco and Seattle, respectively, with the first miners who had ‘struck it rich.’
- Meanwhile, you're theoretically defending the Excelsior, which rarely defends itself for some reason, and its shields are made of laughter and kisses.
- The group has bought the Excelsior, takes over the Grumpy Mole in December, owns the Loaded Hog, Shooters and is setting up a club in the old Money Club Building next door.
2 [mass noun] North American Softwood shavings used for packing fragile goods or stuffing furniture.
- The roots are rolled tightly, like a cigarette, in excelsior and plastic to keep the roots moist until planting time.
- Then I demonstrate with some materials in front of the class, capturing their attention by telling them, ‘There's a little puppy in this excelsior.’
- For instance, my dream is to wrap myself as a birthday present, pack myself in excelsior and ship myself to Greenland - collect!
late 18th century (as an exclamation): from Latin, comparative of excelsus, from ex- 'out, beyond' + celsus 'lofty'.
Definition of excelsior in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan