1Used as a polite apology in various contexts, such as when attempting to get someone’s attention, asking someone to move so that one may pass, or interrupting a speaker.
- Now in 99% of cases with the subway as packed as it was someone would enter, say excuse me and make her move her bag.
- They are all up in my personal space so I say excuse me and move away but they keep looking at me.
- When he finished eating, he stood up with a small polite excuse me and placed his dish in the sink, quickly heading up to Wes' room.
Definition of excuse me in:
- US English dictionary
A social dance in which participants may interrupt other pairs in order to change partners.
- There was a ladies' choice and an excuse-me dance where you got to cut in.
- Gomarsall, provided he stays in the team (as he should), has so many new partners that he will feel as if he has wandered into a dance hall for a demented version of the gentlemen's excuse-me.