- Rolandon prepared to retort, but his muscles and arms were aching madly and he was exhausted, physically and mentally.
- Fans should try and understand that at a competition, when you finally get off the ice, you're exhausted and drained.
- But she was exhausted mentally and physically, and was happy to just lie down on the old bed.
- It reports that its food reserves were exhausted by earthquakes last January and February, and is appealing for international aid.
- By 1952 an improved grade of ore was encountered, and the lode was mined until 1956, when ore reserves were exhausted.
- Our interpretation of these results is that the chorusing generally continues until energy reserves are exhausted.
- That their essays do not fully exhaust the subject merely indicates the size of the challenge.
- The objects on display all combine to describe the epoch but do not claim to exhaust the subject.
- It has occurred to me that I could write about this one for a very long time without exhausting the subject.
- Cars were as old fashioned as buggies and hovering crafts that ran off of air and exhausted pure steam were used instead.
- Most newer cryosurgical units are equipped with a scavenging port from which the gas is exhausted.
- Here the compound was at a disadvantage, fitted as it was with four sets of slide valves which did not exhaust the steam nearly as freely.
- Designed with smokeless exhaust diesel engines aided by gas turbines, air pollution is kept minimal.
- As the aircraft gained altitude, the turbosupercharger would begin to function, taking exhaust gases from the engine to the turbine via the tubing.
- Buses with gasoline and diesel engines produce tons of exhaust gas every day containing many poisonous elements including carbon monoxide and lead.
- So now you don't need customised exhausts, the stock system is plenty good enough as it should be in a car of this category.
- Stay away from the direct exhausts, especially with diesel engines
- Ford has flared the wheel arches, given it a handsome front grille, twin steel exhausts and a subtle boot spoiler.
- Example sentences
- Once the gasket is in place, the system conveys the exhausters to a 22 - Ft oven with infrared heat for curing the material.
- The air exhausters are used to vent the air displaced by airbag deployment and to contribute to cabin air.
- Example sentences
- Wind power is championed by green groups because it is a non-exhaustible source of energy that causes minimal pollution.
- Where, in the case of certain exhaustible natural resources, conservation is a prime desideratum, the benefit principle could be implemented through a severance tax in lieu of at least part of the land value tax.
- In contrast to other sources of nitrogen, such as guano and South American sodium nitrate, which were exhaustible, there is an inexhaustible supply of nitrogen in the air.
Mid 16th century (in the sense 'draw off or out'): from Latin exhaust- 'drained out', from the verb exhaurire, from ex- 'out' + haurire 'draw (water), drain'.
First used in the general sense ‘draw off or out’, exhaust is from Latin exhaurire ‘drain out’.
Words that rhyme with exhaustunder-resourced, unforced
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ex|haust
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.