A philosophical theory or approach which emphasizes the existence of the individual person as a free and responsible agent determining their own development through acts of the will.
More example sentences
- As a philosopher she reacted to existentialism and logical positivism with a deep belief that philosophy should be about freedom and morality and love and God.
- He published On Humanism, a letter to Beaufret in which he distanced his own philosophy from French existentialism.
- The philosophy of existentialism affected and changed the attitude of the Western community to suicide greatly.
translating Danish existents-forhold 'condition of existence' (frequently used by Kierkegaard), from existential.
- More example sentences
- Martin Heidegger, a German philosopher, has been variously classified as a phenomenologist, an existentialist, and a mystic.
- He also does no justice to the existentialist philosopher, Jean-Paul Sartre.
- Gary Kenyon reviews the philosophical foundations of existential meaning in existentialist philosophy and phenomenology.
Definition of existentialism in:
- The US English dictionary