Definition of existentialism in English:
A philosophical theory or approach which emphasizes the existence of the individual person as a free and responsible agent determining their own development through acts of the will.
- As a philosopher she reacted to existentialism and logical positivism with a deep belief that philosophy should be about freedom and morality and love and God.
- He published On Humanism, a letter to Beaufret in which he distanced his own philosophy from French existentialism.
- The philosophy of existentialism affected and changed the attitude of the Western community to suicide greatly.
existentialist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Martin Heidegger, a German philosopher, has been variously classified as a phenomenologist, an existentialist, and a mystic.
- He also does no justice to the existentialist philosopher, Jean-Paul Sartre.
- Gary Kenyon reviews the philosophical foundations of existential meaning in existentialist philosophy and phenomenology.
Definition of existentialism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan