- It predicted that if they got their way there would be ‘a mass exodus of money and jobs’.
- There was a mass exodus of people who had sat through at least two hours of a process that hadn't concerned them.
- A shop boss today told how he faces a mass exodus of staff following two robberies at his store within 48 hours.
- This story is a microcosm of the Exodus from Egypt; it is a liberation story on a family scale.
- The Haggadah is a book which tells in fourteen steps the story of the Jewish experience in Egypt and of the Exodus and revelation of God.
- This was at the Exodus from Egypt, where He performed miracles both in Egypt and by the Red Sea.
period from (Late Middle English):
When first used, period referred to the time during which something such as a disease, ran its course. It goes back to Greek periodos ‘orbit, recurrence, course’, from peri- ‘around’ and hodos ‘way’. The sense ‘portion of time’ dates from the early 17th century, as does use of the word to mean ‘full stop’, now part of US English. Peri is also found in peripatetic (Late Middle English) now meaning ‘wandering, travelling’ but from Greek peripatetikos ‘walking up and down’ and originally applied to followers of the ideas of Aristotle ( 384–322 bc), who is said to have walked about while teaching; and periphery (late 16th century) originally the boundary of something. Hodos, the second part of period is also found in episode (late 17th century), literally ‘coming in beside’ from epi ‘addition’ and eisodos ‘entry’ (formed from eis ‘into’ and hodos); and exodus, ‘departure’ formed in the same way using ex- ‘out of’. See also method
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Old English, via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek exodos, from ex- 'out of' + hodos 'way'.
Definition of exodus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.