1 Anthropology The custom of marrying outside a community, clan, or tribe. Compare with endogamy.
More example sentences
- The practice of clan exogamy - or marriage outside of the clan or group - is typical, however, of almost all ethnic groups.
- Individual choice is constrained by kin group exogamy.
- These clans maintained strict exogamy, so wives may be brought in from elsewhere.
- More example sentences
- These exogamous marriages introduced the possibility of idolatry and syncretistic practices into the community.
- Rural communities were exogamous, patrilocal, and patriarchal, with newly married women subservient in the families of their husbands until they had borne sons.
- Thus, a caste is endogamous, but all the kin-based units below it are exogamous and follow rigid rules about which clans or lineages are allowed to inter-marry.
Definition of exogamy in:
- The US English dictionary