(also exophthalmus or exophthalmia /-mɪə/)
noun[mass noun] Medicine
- Abnormal protrusion of the eyeball or eyeballs.More example sentences
- One you have been diagnosed, your eye doctor will want to examine your eyes regularly, because exophthalmos is a progressive disease.
- The clinical features of thyroid eye disease include ocular pain, photophobia, chemosis, diplopia, exophthalmos, and eye irritation.
- The left orbit was medially compressed, and exophthalmos had occurred.
early 17th century: from modern Latin exophthalmus, from Greek exophthalmos 'having prominent eyes', from ex- 'out' + ophthalmos 'eye'.
More definitions of exophthalmosDefinition of exophthalmos in:
- The US English dictionary