A person who is very knowledgeable about or skilful in a particular area: an expert in health care a financial expert
More example sentences
- The street was cordoned off and forensic experts combed the area and the club for evidence.
- In every area of life the experts are ready to smooth our path and tell us what to believe.
- He was widely regarded by colleagues as one of the leading experts in his field.
specialist, authority, pundit, oracle;
adept, maestro, virtuoso, master, past master, professional, genius, wizard;
connoisseur, aficionado, one of the cognoscenti, cognoscente, doyen, savant
informal ace, buff, ninja, pro, whizz, hotshot, old hand, alpha geek
British informal dab hand
North American informal maven, crackerjack
Having or involving a great deal of knowledge or skill in a particular area: he had received expert academic advice I have a friend who is very expert at the language
More example sentences
- As if he hadn't heard her, he continued to steer the car, maneuvering it with expert skill.
- Many who do get jobs go into coaching and providing expert advice to elite sports athletes.
- None of this is to deny the importance of forward planning based on expert knowledge.
skilful, skilled, adept, accomplished, talented, fine;
master, masterly, brilliant, virtuoso, bravura, magnificent, marvellous, wonderful, outstanding, great, exceptional, superlative, formidable, excellent, dazzling, first-class, first-rate, elite, superb;
proficient, good, able, apt, capable, competent, clever;
experienced, practised, qualified, knowledgeable, well versed;
deft, dexterous, adroit;
French au fait
informal wizard, ace, stellar, class, crack, top-notch, out of this world, mean, A1, demon, genius
vulgar slang shit hot
- Example sentences
- Newcomers to the field who regarded me with affection faced an additional deterrent to challenging my expertness: they feared hurting my feelings as well as earning my disapproval.
- Be it knowledge or skills, the general counseling training and experience of the addictions counselor constitutes another source of expertness.
- Civil-political rights and economic-social rights demand very different kinds of expertness and methodologies for research and missions and lobbying.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ex¦pert
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.