Definition of extol in English:
verb (extols, extolling, extolled)[with object]
Praise enthusiastically: he extolled the virtues of the Russian peoples
More example sentences
- All of them share in their belief in God, turn to Him and extol His praises.
- Mrs Egan, of North Lane, York, was even moved to pen an elegant exposition extolling her family's enthusiasm for waste.
- You travel the world praising the discreet charm of an ancient university and extolling the virtues of academic freedom.
praise enthusiastically, go into raptures about/over, wax lyrical about, sing the praises of, praise to the skies, heap praise on, eulogize, rhapsodize over, rave about, enthuse about/over, gush about/over, throw bouquets at, express delight over, acclaim
informalgo wild about, be mad about, go on about
North American informalballyhoo
black Englishbig someone/something up
- Example sentences
- In writing this particular song, did Archie have in mind such extollers of memory as I, who find in memory-however painful certain of the events that are recalled-the desire for unity and oneness that defines the soul?
- Vicky is a great extoller of the Aga and also loves to cook.
- An extoller of the simple, rooted life, he nevertheless accumulated a sizable fortune and lived very well indeed.
Pronunciation: /ɪkˈstəʊlə/ /ɛkˈstəʊlə/noun
Late Middle English: from Latin extollere, from ex- 'out, upward' + tollere 'raise'.
Words that rhyme with extolbarcarole, bole, bowl, cajole, coal, Cole, condole, console, control, dhole, dole, droll, enrol (US enroll), foal, goal, hole, Joel, knoll, kohl, mol, mole, Nicole, parol, parole, patrol, pole, poll, prole, rôle, roll, scroll, Seoul, shoal, skoal, sole, soul, stole, stroll, thole, Tirol, toad-in-the-hole, toll, troll, vole, whole
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.