Definition of eye-opener in English:
1An event or situation that proves to be unexpectedly enlightening: a visit to the docks can be a fascinating eye-opener
More example sentences
- It was not just this unexpected love of Shakespeare that proved an eye-opener.
- This is the first season Selby have had a team in the county league for over ten years and the experience has quickly proved an eye-opener for their players.
- The film was shot on location in West Yorkshire, which proved an eye-opener for a middle-class university-educated Hindu woman from north London.
2North American An alcoholic drink taken early in the day.
- Comorbid clients also were more likely to have used alcohol or drugs as an eye-opener and to have been annoyed by others who criticized their use of alcohol and/or drugs.
- Talk about a little eye-opener before your first cup of java!
- Murphy and Clovis were enjoying an eye-opener in their cell as the morning sun streamed through the window bars in thick shafts.
Definition of eye-opener in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.