Definition of eyewash in English:
1Cleansing lotion for a person’s eye.
- Lillie Tilley, who lives half a block from the fence line, gets eyewash by the boxful at the local dollar store.
- The publisher of the Miami Herald, visiting New York, hands out eyewash and alcohol swabs, unloads trash bins, refills a huge coffee urn.
- To make your own eyewash, simply dilute five drops of a tincture of goldenseal, an antibacterial herb, in warm water.
2 informal Insincere talk; nonsense: all that stuff about blood being thicker than water was a lot of eyewash
More example sentences
- They assumed that this inquiry would be an eyewash and they would be let go scot free.
- Ardent bikers feel that all the action in the two-wheeler market is only an eyewash.
- In the past 18 years, there have been as many commissions, each one of them an eyewash.
Definition of eyewash in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan