Definition of factious in English:
Relating or inclined to dissension: a factious country
More example sentences
- He felt the Congress might be inclined to factious disputes and intrigues, but he also opposed giving unchecked power to a president.
- But gender issues are political issues and, without a set of established principles to guide much of our social transitions, gender politics are like all politics - messy and factious.
- As Mark E. Neely Jr. has suggested, party competition in the midst of the Civil War was deeply factious, leading some politicians to think ‘only of electoral victory in the short term.’
divided, split, sectarian, schismatic, dissenting, contentious, discordant, conflicting, argumentative, disagreeing, disputatious, quarrelling, quarrelsome, clashing, warring, at variance, at loggerheads, at odds, disharmonious, tumultuous, turbulent, dissident, rebellious, insurrectionary, seditious, mutinous
- Example sentences
- He went on, however, to add that he was not "one of those who would counsel, or who would abet, any attempt factiously and forcibly to repeal the measures of 1846."
- Be well assured that if you choose another, you will not find me acting factiously, for I believe that when a man engaged in war factiously opposes a commander, that man is factiously opposing his own safety.
- Example sentences
- Although the 10 songs on The Woods include some of Sleater-Kinney's least subtle speechifying - the factiousness of ‘Entertain’ being a case in point - their playing has never been more inspired, or better captured.
- But he states, ‘The University must not be complacent, and must avoid factiousness and ultra-Conservatism.’
- In India the factiousness and feebleness of native princes combined with the rapacity of the French and English East India Companies to create a volatile situation.
Words that rhyme with factiousfractious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan