- A test result which wrongly indicates that a particular condition or attribute is present: stress testing, a routine diagnostic tool used in detecting heart disease, results in a significant number of false positives in women [as modifier]: the computer-aided system may return false positive resultsMore example sentences
- An abnormal result, whether it's a false positive or true positive, generally leads to additional testing, and it's the additional tests that could have some risk.
- False positives can lead to additional, more invasive tests including coronary angiography.
- False positive rates on breast / prostate screenings dictate that we're spending money treating people who aren't sick.
More definitions of false positiveDefinition of false positive in:
- The US English dictionary