- 1Over-imaginative and unrealistic: ever more fanciful proposals were raisedMore example sentences
- Okay, so admittedly that may be a fanciful and unrealistic goal.
- He is less imaginative or fanciful than Tom, but more practical.
- He'd always said such things like that, always so fanciful and imaginative with an underlying tone of seriousness.
- 1.1Existing only in the imagination: fanciful lunar inhabitantsMore example sentences
imaginative, inventive; whimsical, impractical, capricious, flighty, dreamy, daydreaming, quixotic, chimerical, head in the clouds, out of touch with reality, in a world of one's own• archaic visionaryfantastic, extravagant, far-fetched, romantic, unbelievable, ridiculous, absurd, preposterous; imaginary, fancied, unreal, illusory, made-up, make-believe; mythical, fabulous, legendary, fairy tale• informal far out, tall, crackpot, cock and bull, hard to swallow/take
- Paintings of original and fanciful snowmen are one favorite, and winter trees or landscapes are another.
- The judge said the two men lived in a ‘strange and fanciful world’ where they thought they could ‘ride around in cars, armed to the hilt’.
- During their mission, they encounter all kinds of bizarre and fanciful creatures.
- 2Highly ornamental or imaginative in design: a fanciful Art Nouveau barMore example sentences
- The new place is colourful and inviting, as sunflower-yellow walls help to show off Obadia's collection of colourful wall hangings, photographs, ornamental pots and fanciful souvenirs.
- They made fanciful designs with dots, lines and geometric patterns on walls, antlers and other things.
- The fountain illustrated, an exquisite piece of Gothic architecture in miniature, was designed to be both fanciful and functional.
- More example sentences
- Not so long ago, the major film critics in the U.S. fancifully tossed around the idea of the ‘death of cinema.’
- Even this outpouring of funds, though, won't take the technology to the level Crichton fancifully depicts.
- Maybe he was like all the others and I was fancifully making all his nice gestures up, it was all a figment of my imagination.
- More example sentences
- Stephen's bullying self-pity and edgy rationalism ran up sharply against Anny's fancifulness, extravagance and sentiment.
- There's a fancifulness and whimsy to the way she draws the human figure.
- We sought to add imagination and fancifulness to regular family activities.