- A carboxylic acid consisting of a hydrocarbon chain and a terminal carboxyl group, especially any of those occurring as esters in fats and oils.More example sentences
- Soaps are created by the chemical reaction of a fatty acid with an alkali metal hydroxide.
- The carboxyl group on the fatty acid contributes some water solubility to the molecule.
- The cellulose is digested by the bacteria and they supply the animals with short chain fatty acids.
More definitions of fatty acidDefinition of fatty acid in:
- The US English dictionary