The federal principle or system of government: idealists who were committed to European federalism
More example sentences
- We begin with an ideal type of a federal system called market-preserving federalism - a federation that satisfies all four conditions.
- The founders crafted throughout the Constitution a system of federalism, whereby state governments were intended to check the powers of the national government.
- To be sure, as the history of the European Union shows, there can be federalism without a federation.
federalist noun& adjective
- More example sentences
- It was a specifically European movement, and whereas Mitrany aimed explicitly to depoliticize the process of the transfer of power away from national governments, federalists sought a clear transfer of political authority.
- A Franco-German proposal to replace him with the Belgian Prime Minister and an avowed federalist, was vetoed by the UK.
- Two of the most influential federalists, committed to the development of a European polity that would deal effectively with the common interests of the member states and their citizens, have been Jean Monnet and Jacques Delors.
Definition of federalism in:
- The US English dictionary