Definition of feeler in English:
1An animal organ such as an antenna or palp that is used for testing things by touch or for searching for food.
- The tip of the snout is expanded into a naked pink disc which supports 22 finger-like tentacles or feelers which give this creature its name.
- Like all lobsters, he has ten legs and two claws (the right slightly larger than the left), and two pairs of antennae or feelers.
- These things now have legs, feelers, and everything.
1.1A tentative proposal intended to ascertain someone’s attitude or opinion: he has already put out feelers to local employers
More example sentences
- He has put out feelers regarding a switch to American citizenship, a move that would let him own U.S. broadcast properties.
- I've put out feelers to get someone right inside the Cunningham community coalition to explain to us how the miracle happened.
- Already in 1987 Austria had put out feelers to Moscow to see what its reaction would be if Austria was to apply to join the European Community.
Words that rhyme with feelerappealer, candela, Coahuila, concealer, dealer, healer, Keeler, kneeler, Leila, peeler, Philomela, reeler, revealer, Schiele, sealer, sheila, Shelagh, spieler, squealer, stealer, tequila, velar, Vila, wheeler, wheeler-dealer
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.