Definition of feminize in English:
1Make (something) more characteristic of or associated with women: as office roles changed, clerical work was increasingly feminized
More example sentences
- He argues that professionalization emerged as an ideology used by women and men social workers to overcome their marginal status and gain respectability in a new and increasingly feminized job market in the 20th century.
- In the 1930s the Soviet retail workforce was increasingly feminized.
- Over time, this element of her story is lost, and she is increasingly configured as a highly feminized martyr.
1.1Induce female sexual characteristics in (a male).
- Until then, most of the fish were very strongly feminized.
- In general, ovarian estrogens feminize and demasculinize the developing hypothalamus and perhaps other brain areas known to control copulatory behaviors.
- Taking estrogen can feminize appearance by increasing breast size, shrinking testicles, rounding the hips and reducing facial and body hair.
- Example sentences
- But, they add, the feminization of medicine is helping to lower physician salaries, encourage part-time doctoring and exacerbate a looming shortage of physicians.
- Documented evidence is now available to show that there is a correlation between the growth of the forces of globalization, and what has come to be known as the feminization of poverty, worldwide.
- I appreciated that it was not a feminization of a boy's name.
Definition of feminize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.