1A low and marshy or frequently flooded area of land: a native species of fens and damp meadows [mass noun]: 55 acres of fen
More example sentences
- Sand dunes, including the machair on the Hebrides, some types of lowland lochs, fens, meadows, hedgerows and blanket bogs are all mentioned as habitats needing further protection.
- The bogs, fens, and estuarine marshes in the Lower Fraser Valley and Fraser Delta of British Columbia support large vegetable growing operations.
- The birds occupy a range of wetland habitats: lakes, rivers, reedbeds, sedge fens, marsh dykes, ponds, flooded gravel pits and meres.
1.2 [mass noun] Ecology Wetland with alkaline, neutral, or only slightly acid peaty soil. Compare with bog.
- Site-specific features of the hydroperiod and geochemistry of the waters influencing the site will determine the specific type of peatland that will develop from the mineral wetland, be it swamp, fen or bog.
- The wetland is a large sedge- and sphagnum-dominated lakeside fen and cattail marsh that supports one of the most diverse wetland bird communities in the state.
- It is the smallest patterned fen recorded in Maine; the next largest is 11 hectares.
- Example sentences
- Variously known an 'intermittent fever' or 'ague,' malaria had been endemic in the marshy, fenny lowlands of Europe and Africa for millennia.
- Anyhow, you are left with something like the alliterative ‘fillet of a fenny snake’ becoming the rather leaden ‘fillet of a marshland snake’.
Words that rhyme with fenAdrienne, again, amen, Ardennes, Behn, Ben, Benn, Bren, cayenne, Cévennes, Dairen, den, en, gen, glen, Glenn, Guyenne, Gwen, hen, julienne, Karen, ken, Len, Loren, men, Nene, Ogaden, paren, pen, Penn, Phnom Penh, Rennes, Shenzhen, Sun Yat-sen, ten, then, Tlemcen, when, wren, yen, zazen, Zen
noun (plural same)
A monetary unit of China, equal to one hundredth of a yuan.
- Of some 10 million containers, 70 per cent were purchased at the rate of two fen each.
- So he uses short messages to communicate with others because it costs only 10 fen a time.
- Meanwhile, the company, China's biggest ethylene producer, saw its net profit leap more than fivefold to 1.03 billion yuan, or 31 fen per share, in the first half on rising sales.
From Chinese fēn 'a hundredth part'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan