Definition of fermata in English:
1A pause of unspecified length on a note or rest.
- The rests, fermatas and sudden dynamic changes help to provide an element of surprise.
- Unfortunately, most editors have tried to ‘correct’ Bach's ‘inconsistencies’ by adding fermatas where Bach did not indicate them.
- In movement four there should be a fermata over the last cluster in line two.
1.1A sign indicating a prolonged note or rest.
- This also differs from the piano part in the transcription as the piano part indicates the fermata.
- Many of the extremely slow and lightening fast tempos we have become so accustomed to are automatically invalidated simply by honoring Bach's fermatas and implied tempo relationships.
- The final two bars, with their fermatas and sforzandos, are much more theatrical and formidable than Schubert's.
Italian, from fermare 'to stop'.
Definition of fermata in:
- US English dictionary