An orange crystalline compound whose molecule has a sandwich structure in which two planar cyclic hydrocarbon ligands enclose an iron atom.
- Chemical formula: Fe(C5H5)2
More example sentences
- The anchored ferrocene is a sandwich complex: two flat, five-membered carbon rings are the ‘bread’, while an iron atom in the middle serves as the filling.
- It contains four ferrocenes encapsulated within the cavity of 1b and provides evidence that indeed multiple ferrocenes can be encapsulated in the interior of the positively charged host.
- Further support was provided by the analogous compounds ferrocene and nickelocene.
1950s: from ferro- 'containing iron' + -cene from c(yclopentadi)ene.
More definitions of ferroceneDefinition of ferrocene in:
- The US English dictionary