- 1Containing iron oxides or rust: a band of ferruginous limestoneMore example sentences
- The rock is cemented by a mixture of quartz overgrowths, K-rich feldspar, and an oxidized ferruginous clay now dominated by chlorite.
- Tectonic ironstone encompasses siliceous and ferruginous rock types that are characterized by the presence of chert or cherty quartzite, iron sulphides and their alteration products.
- The lenses are separated by locally discordant horizons of ferruginous, silicic or graphitic, strongly schistose sedimentary to volcanic rocks.
- 1.1Reddish brown; rust-coloured: the ferruginous earth of southern BrazilMore example sentences
- The latter, a series of ferruginous shelly sands, are the only preserved in situ product of the late Miocene-early Pliocene marine transgression.
- The beige-to-ochre tropical ferruginous soil displays in its first horizons a sandy texture at slope bottom, and is sandy-clayey on the remainder.
- A mixture of bruised arum leaves and stalks with a quantity of dark, ferruginous earth and water was put into the gourd.
mid 17th century: from Latin ferrugo, ferrugin- 'rust, dark red' (from ferrum 'iron') + -ous.
More definitions of ferruginousDefinition of ferruginous in:
- The US English dictionary