1British A person who does repair or maintenance work on a railway.
- As one of 8 surviving children of a railway fettler, will I have more than 37.5% of the nation as fellow travellers in the future?
- He qualified and worked as a pharmacist before embarking on a wandering tour of northern Australia, working as pearl diver, stockman, miner, and railway fettler - experiences which informed all his future writing.
- Ned Kelly compelled some fettlers to remove rails from the rail track, because they were expecting a train with a number of police.
2A person who fettles metal castings or pottery.
- The heated billets (short lengths of red hot steel) shoot out of the reheating furnace and are caught by the fettlers, men equipped with large pincers, and fed manually into the mill roll.
- The injured fettler had received little training in the use of power presses.
Words that rhyme with fettlersettler, settlor
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: fet|tler
Definition of fettler in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.