1 [in singular] An opportunity for action or success, especially at the expense of others: the newspapers had a field day as the case came to court
More example sentences
- The first problem with these practices is that capitalists are having a field day at our expense.
- But the media also had a field day writing about your break up!
- The only sour note during a fortnight of success came when the tabloids had a field day over Sam's withdrawal from the Dunhill Links Championship.
2 Military A review or an exercise, especially in manoeuvring.
- In the Navy, "field day" refers to a thorough cleaning of the ship's spaces.
- Saturday was the field day, when all the companies met, and were trained together.
- We have had field day attendees representing almost every branch of the Armed Forces: Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps.
3North American A day devoted to athletics or other sporting events and contests.
- Put up a cork/bulletin board for the kids to hang ribbons and medals from field days, school spirit events and competitions.
- One of the highlights of the field day is a team event called It's A Knockout, based on the theme of the TV series of the same name.
- There will be the usual field day events such as bottle stall, wheel of fortune, goldfish, throw the dice, book stall etc. etc.
4Australian /NZ A day set aside for the display of agricultural machinery.
- The little town of Henty, in southern New South Wales, is a small unassuming place that traditionally holds one of the country's biggest agricultural field days.
- Well Bruce Haig is a diplomat no longer, in fact he's a farmer, and he joins me from Gunnedah in New South Wales where he's actually attending an agricultural field day.
- The Department of Agriculture told growers at its annual field day last week of the potential to produce high oil producing crops for use in biodiesel production.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: field day
Definition of field day in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.