- A theory that explains physical phenomena in terms of a field and the manner in which it interacts with matter or with other fields.More example sentences
- Quantum chromodynamics, the current theory of the strong interactions, is a field theory of quarks and gluons.
- The consistency condition for string theory when described in this manner is that the field theory on the worldsheet satisfy the condition for scale invariance, also known as conformal invariance.
- Lattice-gauge theorists use the Feynman path-integral technique to quantize the field theory.
More definitions of field theoryDefinition of field theory in:
- The US English dictionary