noun (plural figurae /-riː/)
- (In literary theory) a person or thing representing or symbolizing a fact or ideal.More example sentences
- They have described how the Renaissance blazon expresses the desire to fetishize and idolize the female body by fragmenting the subjective Other and reshaping her as a figura for the male poet's autonomy.
- The woman's face, the narrator seems to argue, becomes a figura for the male will.
- The name Vinci stands not only as a metaphor for the master's pictorial perfection but also as a figura of his self.
Latin, literally 'figure' (representing an early use of figure to denote an emblem or type).
More definitions of figuraDefinition of figura in:
- The US English dictionary