A liquid which has passed through a filter.
- During the gravity filtration the filtrate passes through the filter medium under the combined forces of gravity and capillary attraction between the liquid and the funnel stem.
- Then a clear filtrate with no cells or bacteria was used to inoculate another chicken, which would then develop a tumor.
- In the majority of the studies we reviewed, the material administered to the animal was the dried filtrate of a water extract that had been prepared from dried leaves.
verb[with object] rare
Filter: the remaining alkali is filtrated
More example sentences
- Sperm were filtrated and stained on the filter.
- It is more normally used to filtrate drinking water and in small amounts is not harmful.
- Shrugging, the teen walked over to the window above the sink: some light had managed to filtrate between the cobwebs and the dust.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: fil|trate
Definition of filtrate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.