(also fir tree) An evergreen coniferous tree with upright cones and flat needle-shaped leaves, typically arranged in two rows. Firs are an important source of timber and resins. Compare with pine1 (sense 1).
- Genus Abies, family Pinaceae: many species
More example sentences
- If you were stranded in the woods during a storm, you would be a bit safer standing under a tree with large flat leaves like oak, than you would under a fir or pine tree.
- Conifers are seed plants; they include pines, firs, yew, redwood, and many other large trees.
- They have also grown juniper shrubs and maple, fir and pine trees.
late Middle English: probably from Old Norse fyri- (recorded in fyriskógr 'fir wood').
Definition of fir in:
- The US English dictionary