A serious bacterial disease of plants of the rose family, especially fruit trees, giving the leaves a scorched appearance.
- The bacterium is the Gram-negative Erwinia amylovora
More example sentences
- Orchardists are concerned the bacterial disease fireblight could be imported into Australia, with devastating effects on the local fruit industry.
- Australia currently bans the import of New Zealand apples because it fears the fireblight bacterial disease.
- Australian growers remain concerned about the risk of the disease fireblight being introduced to their orchards.
Definition of fireblight in:
- The US English dictionary