adjective[attributive] US • informal
- 1(Of a fire) very large or fierce.More example sentences
- As we watched the raging, five-alarm fire, I was torn between being horrified at its fury and intensity and delighted by the technology that was letting us get the news instantly without a television or radio in sight.
- They had shown up at the five-alarm fire five minutes too late to catch the perpetrators, but just in time to rescue the victims.
- Fire department inspectors investigating the five-alarm fire were unable to determine what caused it, and have turned the matter over to police.
- 1.1(Of food, such as chillies) extremely pungent or hot.More example sentences
- Made five-alarm chili the other day, with three kinds of beans and many, many hot peppers.
- Now salsas can be found worldwide, in varieties such as red chilli, guacamole, or green tomatillo, from mild, to tangy, to suicide five-alarm spicy.
- When we needed a siesta from the five-alarm fare, we moved on to some non-Mexican entrées.
More definitions of five-alarmDefinition of five-alarm in:
- The US English dictionary