- A flag of a country under which a ship is registered in order to avoid financial charges or restrictive regulations in the owner’s country.More example sentences
- A Japanese tuna fisheries federation said it will link up with its Taiwan counterpart and other businesses to set up a body to combat damage done by tuna fishing boats sailing under a flag of convenience.
- The Cypriot flag was once a maritime flag of convenience, but a more stringent approach by the government in recent years has rid the country of the shady side of the shipping trade.
- They dumped Australian workers when they had the vessel reflagged under a flag of convenience.
More definitions of flag of convenienceDefinition of flag of convenience in:
- The US English dictionary