Definition of flashover in English:
1A high-voltage electric short circuit made through the air between exposed conductors.
- The insulator structure may reduce the occurrence of flashovers to and from the gate lines and emitters when the field emitter device is used in a display.
- In an instant, an avalanche of electrons is rolling over the surface in a catastrophic flashover.
- Section 232 requires workers to wear flame resistant outerwear if they could be exposed to a flash fire or electrical equipment flashover.
2An instance of a fire spreading very rapidly through the air because of intense heat.
- Minutes after they escaped, there was a fire flashover and the whole building went up in flames.
- They were faced with the possibility of a flashover as the fire, in a matter of minutes, progressed to a stage where it was producing copious amounts of thick smoke.
- In as little as three minutes, a small fire can erupt into flashover.
Definition of flashover in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia